Monday, October 27, 2014

Book review ~ "The Brickmaker's Bride" by Judith McCoy Miller

The Brickmaker's Bride (Refined by Love, #1)The Brickmaker's Bride by Judith McCoy Miller
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Source: Received to Review
Genre: Christian Historical Romance

Book Description:  Yearning for a fresh start, Ewan McKay travels with his aunt and uncle from northern Scotland to West Virginia, promising to trade his skills in the clay business for financial assistance from his uncle Hugh. Hugh purchases a brickmaking operation from a Civil War widow and her daughter, but it's Ewan who gets the business up and running again. Ewan seeks help from Laura, the former owner's daughter, and he feels a connection with her, but she's being courted by another man--a lawyer with far more social clout and money than Ewan. Besides, Ewan has resolved he'll focus on making the brickmaking operation enough of a success that he can become a partner in the business
and be able to afford to bring his sisters over from Scotland.

But when Hugh signs a bad business deal, all Ewan's hard work may come to naught. As his plans begin to crumble, Laura reveals something surprising. She and her mother may have a way to save the brickworks, and in turn Ewan may have another shot at winning Laura's heart.


My thoughts: Laura and Ewan are two characters that I rooted for. They were both nice and likable. I really wanted to see them succeed and find the happiness that they both deserved. Part of the reason that I couldn't help rooting for them was because some of the people around them were not nice characters.

There were many obstacles that had to be faced and overcome for this book to have a satisfactory ending. First was Ewan's relatives. He was surrounded by selfish and superficial that were concerned only with the world as it benefited them. He turned out to be such a nice guy in spite of the many negative influences around him. I loved how he put his sister's first, wanting to give them a better life.

Laura was courted by a man that only cared about himself and appearances. He was also prejudice against Ewan and his family because they were Irish immigrants. I have read other books about the opposition to the Irish immigrating to America, in comparison the problems faced by Ewan and his family were mild.

The love story progressed at a slow rate for Laura and Ewan, but a great analogy is found at the end of the book comparing love to brick making. You would have to read the book to fully understand the significance, it was pretty profound though.

I am glad that I read this book. I will have to look up other titles by Judith McCoy Miller.






2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good one! I cannot stand superficial people :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't grab this one from NG because I've read some of her other books and I just couldn't get into them. They just bored me, so I passed by this one. I have too many books to review as it is so I've been trying to not grab anything I might think would not be a great read, most of the time. Now I know I maybe should have grabbed it. Glad you enjoyed it!

    I posted my wrap-up for Wonderfully Wickedhere. I hope you got everything read you wanted to!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.